Monday, May 24, 2010

Hitty Mehitabel arrives in Wisconsin and her Travels

Dear Hitty friends,
I arrived here in Wisconsin a few minutes ago. Wow, that road construction....kinda bumpy, I must say. You know what they say about Wisconsin, don't you? It is either three seasons (July, August and Winter!) OR two seasons...(Winter and Road Construction).

I had a lovely visit (altho quite busy) while in Illinois. I wonder what my next adventure will be. While with D', I endured a fair amount of rain, it appears that heat and humidity may play a role while I am here.

I am just about to take a little rest before meeting the Hitty family that lives here. I will be back later.

Much love,
Mehitabel



Granny Charming wondered what all the whispering was about.....
"Now, now girls, I told you to let Mehitabel take a little rest before
you invited her to playtime."




Look what I found.........................

This morning, before everyone else was up, I decided to go for a little walk by myself...I didn't go far, but look what I encountered............
I couldn't believe my eyes....but there before me...............I thought for a moment that I might faint. I had never seen a fairy before.......

James Matthew Barrie (Peter, in Peter Pan, act 1)--"When the first baby laughed for the first time, the laugh broke into a thousand pieces and they all went skipping about, and that was the beginning of fairies. And now when every new baby is born its first laugh becomes a fairy. So there ought to be one fairy for every boy or girl.".

Lovingly,
Mehitabel


.....



Mehitabel's day at the Amish auction-------------------


My dear Hitty friends...

It was early morning here at the Baxter house, when I was awaken by the most annoying "beep, beep, beep".....coming from a little black box with red numbers on it....5:00 it read!!
I knew something was going on when I was snatched from the dresser that I was resting on, plopped into a carrying bag, into a purse and out the door we went. We were soon dropped off at a friends house, got into a different vehicle, and again...off we go.

The sky was a perfect blue, and as we drove out of the city, and into the country, one could see a light fog lifting from the meadows. (That is, if you were in a position to SEE) We rode for several miles, stopping to pick up another friend. Into again, a different vehicle and off we go.

We finally arrived at an Auction. Not a regular auction...An Amish auction. We had to scrounge around to find a place to put our chairs (The benches make your back ache when sitting too long...These gals I was with are not exactly young....only young at heart) At last we were seated. Oh my, the quilts, the handmade furniture, the handmade woven baskets, flowers, baked goods!!! It was wonderful. The "person" did not bring a camera, out of respect for the Amish community. The "person" did buy a couple of plants, but mostly just enjoyed the Americana of it all. There were so many, many people there. I hope the auction brought in a lot of money as it was designated for their school. It was fun to see the Amish children playing, and also working, helping the adults.

It was a fun day!! We shall sleep soundly tonight!!

Yours truly,
Mehitabel



Famous painter My Mom Carver

Well at my stay here in Wisconsin, I noticed on the wall a lovely picture.
The other Hittys let me take it down to examine it. One the back, right before
my eyes was the name of my Carver Mom....This lovely piece came here as a swap.
I thought you might like to see the other talents of my Carver Mom.

Lovingly,
Mehitabel

P S I did get a very good night's sleep after all of our exciting adventure of
yesterday....





Memorial Day Parade................................

Dear Hitty friends,

It turned out to be a beautiful day even tho rain showers were predicted. My hostess got up early this morning and went to a rummage sale at a local church with a neighbor. I was still sleeping and since we had plans to go to the parade, I just stayed in bed. Of course, we hitty girls did some giggling and such. She came home with a bag of doll furniture...not much but a very nice looking bed.

Next, we hurriedly called one of the Baxter daughters, to see if she had set out a blanket for us so we could watch the parade..And she already had done that. However, the crowd was so large that we had to sit around the corner. Turns out, it was just fine..the parade turned right there. AND, I got my picture taken with someone special. The first person in the parade every year, is an elderly
Marine. He MARCHES the entire route, which is several blocks. There are almost 100 entries. After he went past, I noticed him talking to someone. I went up to him, introduced him to Mehitabel, told him a little about her and her travels. I asked if I could take a picture and he was most pleased!! My hostess told him that he was her favorite part of the parade...she gets all teared up. This Marine was in Okinawa, Japan and later in the Korean War. He will be 85 in July. What a special treat!!
Later in the parade, a gentleman was wearing stilts and dressed as Uncle Sam. He also posed with me.
And the next picture is of my hostess's Lion's Club. They have performed for 35 years and are well known as the "Happy
Whistlers" ...
Last but not least is a picture of the Packer float for all you football fans. Now Brett Farve is a VIKING!!!
Sorry, I am so long winded. Tonight we must water the flowers and tomorrow, we are going to work on the house....
Thank you to all veterans who have risked your lives so that we may be free....

Lovingly yours,
Mehitabel











Doll Club Tonight..............

Dear Hittyfriends,
>
> So tonight we are headed off to my hostess Mom's doll club. And would you believe it??? It is about wooden dolls. It is a pot luck event with a speaker who carves dolls.....What timing!!
> We will post pictures tomorrow and then I must begin to get my things in order so that I may travel on to Wanda's house in Oklahoma. I can't imagine what is in store for me there, but hostess Mom has shown me some of Wanda's photos and I can hardly wait.
>
> Much love,
> Mehitabel


Dear Carver Mom,

It was so much fun last night. Mr. Kublank commented on how lovely I was and all the detail that I possess. Other members in the club thought I was just beautiful. There were several other Hittys there.
Mr. Kublank carved the Hitty in the red dress. She didn't look anything like me, but her carver loves her anyway. There were some Raikes Hittys, a Helen Bullard Hitty, a Polly Paige Hitty. The last two mentioned were collectibles of Mr. Kublank.
So many wooden dolls!! And the joy they bring to the ones who live with them.

Love, Mehitabel

Dear Hittyfriends,

Well, last night was special. I attended the doll club with my hostess.
The Regional Director was the guest of honor and he brought some of his wooden doll collection. He and his wife are both collectors. Other
members of the club also brought wooden dolls for "Show and Tell"...
and guess what??? I got to be a "Show and Tell" too! Everyone was very interested in my travels. Mr. Kublank had his picture taken with me! There are so many different kinds of wooden dolls. I was really surprised. Some are big, some are small, fat, skinny and all.

Tonight my hostess Mom is going to prepare me for my journey to Wanda's house.








No comments:

Post a Comment